Most Popular Sicilian Food

 ARANCINE 

The most typical Sicilian food you could ever eat is the arancina. This is a rice ball that is stuffed, covered in bread crumbs and then fried. There are two main types of arancine: the "arancine al ragù" and the "arancine al burro". The first ones are made of Italian ragù, mozzarella cheese and pees. The second ones have rice and butter inside. Arancina literally means little orange and that's because they really look like the fruit. Arancine are said to be introduced in Sicily at the banning of the 10th century, under the Arabic domination. Personally, the arancine are the Sicilian food that I love the most, because they're so tasty. In Sicily, we tend to eat arancine when surrounded by many friends and family members, since we tend to share them with each other's. 



PANELLE
The panelle are another typical street food that you can easily find in Sicily, especially in Palermo. They're are some fritters made of potatoes and chickpeas, that are fried as well. We usually tend to put a couple of them in a sandwich and we season them with lemon. As for the arancine, we usually eat this dish with family members and close friends. I genuinely love the panelle, because I used to eat them almost every day, as a kid, during summer. Therefore, they remind me of some of the happiest moments of my childhood. 



CANNOLI
The cannoli are one of the most popular desserts you could ever find in Sicily. They are Italian pastries that are often tube shaped. The cannoli are always filled with ricotta, a sweet Italian cheese, and chocolate chips. Since they can be almost 8 inches long, we usually divide them into two parts and share them with someone else. If you like really sweet desserts, I think you would definitely love them! Don't forget to put the cannoli in the fridge in case you want to eat them later in the day, because otherwise the ricotta inside would start smelling bad.







Commenti

  1. For me all of these amazing dishes look good and would be glad to try them one day but for me the one I would love to have the most is the Cannoli just from how it looks and how you describe it looks like it would very delicious

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I genuinely appreciate your feedback! I hope you'll have the chance to try one of these dishes, because it's absolutely worthy. Thank you again for the comment!

      Elimina
  2. I would love to try any one of these dishes. The way you describe them makes them sound like as if you don't try them you're missing on something big. Everyone around me from friends to even my roommates have told me that an authentic cannoli is something to die for, compared to the prepackage ones found in grocery stores. Great Job, I'll definitely keep an eye out!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you for the kind comment! I am glad you liked my post and I agree with you, cannoli are so tasty. You must try them if you ever come to Sicily!

      Elimina
  3. I love the variety in the foods you have shared! I would absolutely love to try all of these, especially the panelle! It sound so good. would you know of any local places where I could find these foods?

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you for the post Sharlyn! I am glad that you think I provided a good variety of Sicilian specialities, that was my intention. As concerns the panelle, there's plenty of places in Palermo, the capital of Sicily, where you could easily find them. Anyways, all these dishes are so popular that you would not have any problem finding all of them!

      Elimina

Posta un commento

Post popolari in questo blog

Places Where to Go

Sicilian Cultural Traditions